Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Question: coughing made worse by humidifier?

lenoredionne - Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:45 am

I have been fighting the flu for 4 days, my head was so stuffed I went out to get a humidifier, now I was coughing before but not nearly as much as when I use the humidifier. is that normal/ OK? my chest feels heavy and it didn't before. Should I see a doctor?
 Debbie Miller, RN - Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:43 pm

In almost all cases a humidifier will help you. I suspect it has worked, in that it has loosened the secretions and allowed your body to cough it up. This is a good thing.

The only other possibility that comes to mind for me is the potential for mold from the humidifier. Make sure it is cleaned thoroughly, perhaps with a bleach solution, then dried well.

If you begin to have breathing difficulties, fever or a sense of impending doom, see your doctor.