Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Itchy skin deep pain on right side of chest.

 srcolt721 - Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:10 am

I have a weird problem.
I am a 36 Y/O male,
My mom is asthmatic and had her gall bladder removed about 6 to 10 years ago, My Grandma was a diabetic.
I was once hit by a car and have problems with a stiff neck on the left ever since; And I have been told I have GERD. Now… the issue.

I am experiencing a sort of/Kind of pain. It is hard to describe. It is “in” my chest, on the right side, and has been there for about a year and a half. It is usually a dull/ itchy pain that sometimes feels sharpish and it only feels skin deep most of the time, though it does seem to “go” deeper on occasion.

There is an area on my back directly opposite the spot on my chest which also “itches / tingles”.

Lately it has started to catch like A mild muscle cramp in my chest when I bend over to pick stuff up.
There are no other real symptoms… (No trouble breathing, no cough reaction, etc…)
Can anyone give me an idea of what this could be?

I have been trying to get in to see a doctor for almost a year but the only provider/s I can visit (financially) never have openings for me to visit them.
 Dr. A. Madia - Thu Mar 27, 2008 8:53 am

User avatar Hi,

Any pain occurring on the right lower chest which is referred on the back too at the same level just possibly could result from gall bladder disease. However it is really very difficult to throw more light on this just from this information.

However since you say you have GERD, your symptom could be a manifestation of some acid reflux or gaseous distension of the intestine too.

I do advice you to see an internist about this to get a proper diagnosis and whatever treatment required.


| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us