Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: sharp stabbing pain on both sides of my chest

davetiznado - Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:09 pm

Hello im 16 years old and ive been having sharp stabbing pains that come and go, i get them on the both sides of my chest. on the right side i get it about 2 inches away from my nipple towards the inside of my chest.. the same on the left side. i also have a cough at night that has yellowish mucos and somtimes i feel like my throat tightens a little could this pneumonia. right now i havnt been to a doctors office because im currently in mexico, And there is no doctor around. I am waitng for the 5th when i get back to go visit him.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:26 pm

User avatar Hello -

What you describe could be on the way to becoming pneumonia but at present sounds more like acute bronchitis (which is often a precursor of pneumonia when untreated). The tightening sensation in your throat would be consistent with pharyngitis secondary to a sinus infection draining post-nasally into your throat and on into the brochial tree. Hopefully you'll have seen a doctor by now and will have been placed on an antibiotic, which would seem appropriate given the colorful discharge.

I hope you're doing well. Please do follow up with us. Best of luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us