Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: sharp stabbing pain on both sides of my chest

davetiznado - Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:09 pm

Hello im 16 years old and ive been having sharp stabbing pains that come and go, i get them on the both sides of my chest. on the right side i get it about 2 inches away from my nipple towards the inside of my chest.. the same on the left side. i also have a cough at night that has yellowish mucos and somtimes i feel like my throat tightens a little could this pneumonia. right now i havnt been to a doctors office because im currently in mexico, And there is no doctor around. I am waitng for the 5th when i get back to go visit him.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:26 pm

What you describe could be on the way to becoming pneumonia but at present sounds more like acute bronchitis (which is often a precursor of pneumonia when untreated). The tightening sensation in your throat would be consistent with pharyngitis secondary to a sinus infection draining post-nasally into your throat and on into the brochial tree. Hopefully you'll have seen a doctor by now and will have been placed on an antibiotic, which would seem appropriate given the colorful discharge.

I hope you're doing well. Please do follow up with us. Best of luck to you.