Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Question: Sporadic Chest pain at right side.

hari_daffodil - Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:40 am

Twice in last 15 days, I'm getting severe pain at my right chest. Pain is intermittent, and can be felt while deep breath.

I'm a student and studying hard for my exams (In few days) and I have a habit of sleepin 1 or 2 hours in the evenings. No much physical exercises.....

Thanks for your help in advance....I greatly appreciate.

Thanks,

Hari.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:10 pm

User avatar Hi Hari -

Given your description of the pain and how it is aggravated by deep breaths, it is likely to be pleurisy, an inflammation of the membrane that encompasses the lungs. This can cause rather severe pain, especially with deep breaths, and the pain is usually felt on one side of the chest as you describe. It can happen due to respiratory infections or it can sometimes happen for no apparent reason. It usually responds very well to non-steroidal anti-inflammatories such as ibuprofin or naproxyn. If you try one of these and it successfully relieves the pain, you can assume this is what's going on, and the medication may actually help resolve the pain, although it is sometimes a chronic problem.

Good luck to you with this. Please let us know how things go.