Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Chest Pain & Back Pain

 tymica5477 - Wed Oct 29, 2008 9:36 am

Hello I am a 31yr old female and I have 4 kids 1 C- section and for the first time in 2004 I had a really bad pain in my chest that caused me to fall to the floor I was really dizzy and shortness of breath I went to the doctor and they told me it was influmation or something and every since then I have these on and of pain for years and recently about a 1yr ago i have them more every 2wks I guess and I can stand the pain now because im use to it but I go to the doctors and they have ran every test and it comes back fine but I still have this pain that feels sharp on the left side and it goes to my back and it hurts to move I try to bend my back and it really hurts I rest laying down on my other side and it helps for a minute but when i try to get up it still hurts for about 3dys straight then it goes away I have never smoked and I only drink on special occasions I have a ovarian cist and in the past they have told me I have Fibroids I don't have health insurance right now but its in process but I go to the ER and they can't find anything and I'm hoping im not gonna wake up dead because of this pain please help me.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Oct 30, 2008 9:59 pm

User avatar Hi there -

Pain that can be duplicated my motion is never heart-related, so you can relax a little about that. Also, most serious organic problems have been ruled out. What's left as possiblities are things like chronic muscle spasm or possibly a nerve compression (perhaps somewhere along the lumbar spine) that's causing both local and referred muscular pain. While it's not urgent/life-threatening, it's obviously something you don't need to have going on, so once your insurance has fire up, I'd strongly recommend getting a referral to an orthopedist, who may be able to locate the problem and help you to manage it and maybe even come up with a plan to make it go away. This could range from physical therapy to pain meds to surgery, depending on the nature and location of the problem, but it very much sounds like it is muscular, possibly resulting from an orthopedic problem you may have had for a long time. This sounds very fixable, assuming the focus is on the likely cause instead of organ systems.

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck to you, and please follow up with us as needed.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us