Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: 20y/o chest pain

jshep - Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:45 pm

Hello im a 20 y/o male, and i'm am in pretty good health. But the last year or so i've been having unexplained chest pain, i've been to the emergency room a number of times never anything wrong. I also went to a cadiologist about two months ago and had a stress test and echocadiogram, and blood work everything o.k...... but i still have this pressure and discomfort in my chest and sometimes in my throat and it sometimes becomes worse when i lay down..... should i see another cadiologist are where would you recommend i do to get to the bottom of this Thanks alot
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:25 pm

User avatar Hi there -

Since you've had all the appropriate workups to rule out heart problems, and since this worsens when you lie down, I strongly suspect either gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) or a hiatal hernia (they both have the same symptoms and respond to the same medications). Lying down will often aggravate either one. I am going to assume you tolerate exercise well, and that this doesn't aggravate the pain. (If I'm wrong, please let me know). This would just about nail down a diagnosis of esophageal problems, due either to GERD or hiatal hernia. These are usually easily treated with oral meds.

I hope this is helpful to you. Best of luck, and plase do follow up with us as needed.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us