Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Question: Band of pain across back & chest - painful swallowing

Clairex1x - Fri Nov 07, 2008 11:26 am

Everytime I eat food, it hurts when I swallow. The pain is about half way down my eosophogus and started about 3 days ago. At first I thought it was indegestion so I took some liquid Gaviscon and Rennies, that helped slightly but now I think the pain is getting worse. There is no pain when I breathe, only when I eat. It feels as though there is something hard stuck in my eosophogus. So I can only really eat liquid foods at the moment. There is now a band of pain acroos my back and chest. I am not sure as to what it is and was wondering if you could shed any light on it. Thanx. Claire.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:17 pm

User avatar Hello Claire -

What you describe sounds most like a spasm or stricture of the esophagus. It could be something else, but since it is triggered by swallowing food it most sounds like an esophageal problem. Rarely, however, and especially in women, heart problems can present themselves in very atypical fashion, and while such a thing is extremely unlikely, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that this should re ruled out. It really seems most likely a spasm of the esophagus (a stricture shouln't show up so abruptly; spasm can start any time). Either esophageal problem could be treated with oral medication and possibly some dietary caution.

if it weren't for that "band of pain." That's what makes me feel a heart problem, however unlikely, should be ruled out, and this should be easy to do. Then you might be prescribed something for what is very likely an esophageal problem.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up here as necessary.