Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Pain due to fall about 2 months ago

 grub72 - Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:04 pm

I fell off my bike about 2 months and i damaged my right rib just under my breast. The doctor said to have a scan to see if there was any damage as it was bruised and very sore to touch. There was no damage to the liver or i would of had to go to the hospital straight away. Anyway it went away for a while but 2 days ago it came back with revenge. The other thing i have been doing to make it sore is playing the wii that we got for Xmas, games like bowling, golf, archery i was just wondering if any of the game playing has done any damage to it and maybe bruised it even more. Should i stop for a while till it settles or what should i do.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu Jan 01, 2009 9:56 pm

User avatar Hi there -

After bruising (and maybe even cracking) a rib that way, the area, especially the cartilage between the ribs in that area is bound to be a little sensitive still, so playing with the Wii is one thing likely to aggravate what's probably costochondritis (an inflammation of that cartilage). This usually will respond to over-the-counter non-steroidal-anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofin (Advil) or Naproxyn (Aleve) if it bothers you enough. Of course the other possibility would be to let it rest, but if you can knock out the pain with one of the meds mentioned, it would be just as well to keep on playing with the Wii, as it's not only great fun but for some people it's actually a workout, which is a good thing.

If the pain doesn't respond to rest or simple pain meds you might want to mention it to your doctor, but this really isn't unusual this soon after a rib injury such as you suffered.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you. Please follow up with us here as needed.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us