Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: phlegm

smiley - Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:56 pm

Hi,

I've had this chronic phlegm for the last 2 years. I just start to salivate excessively and have to swallow. i also start to feel nauseous from all the phlegm. also, it feels like theres something caught in my throat. i cant breathe that well out of my nostrils either. my doctor gave me 5 days of cefzil b/c he said he saw a hint of a nasal infection, but the symptoms only went away for a few days and now they are black. i also spit up black specks in my phlegm in the mornings.

pls advise!!!

-smiley
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:42 am

User avatar Hello:
Having a chronic cough for two years with phlegm that has black specks in it, could indicate a more serious lung condition. I would suggest you return to your doctor and let him know about the black specks. A full exam of your lungs and air passages to rule out anything serious would be what I would recommend to you.
Regards,
Carolyn
 smiley - Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:18 am

Hi Carolyn!! =)

Thanks for responding! The problem is, I don't have a chronic cough, its just that i spit out thick clear phlegm with the black specks in the mornings only when i do a deep clearing of my throat.

Do you still think this could be a serious lung condition?

-Smiley :D
 zammie - Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:10 am

i wake up in the morning to clear my throat i see small black specks, earlier i had cough and i was treated using cough mixture and antibiotics, the cough stopped. i want to know if its serious.
i am not a smoker, i have not smoked in my life.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us