Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: phlegm

smiley - Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:56 pm

I've had this chronic phlegm for the last 2 years. I just start to salivate excessively and have to swallow. i also start to feel nauseous from all the phlegm. also, it feels like theres something caught in my throat. i cant breathe that well out of my nostrils either. my doctor gave me 5 days of cefzil b/c he said he saw a hint of a nasal infection, but the symptoms only went away for a few days and now they are black. i also spit up black specks in my phlegm in the mornings.

pls advise!!!

-smiley
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:42 am

User avatar Hello:
Having a chronic cough for two years with phlegm that has black specks in it, could indicate a more serious lung condition. I would suggest you return to your doctor and let him know about the black specks. A full exam of your lungs and air passages to rule out anything serious would be what I would recommend to you.
Regards,
Carolyn
 smiley - Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:18 am

Hi Carolyn!! =)

Thanks for responding! The problem is, I don't have a chronic cough, its just that i spit out thick clear phlegm with the black specks in the mornings only when i do a deep clearing of my throat.

Do you still think this could be a serious lung condition?

-Smiley :D
 zammie - Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:10 am

i wake up in the morning to clear my throat i see small black specks, earlier i had cough and i was treated using cough mixture and antibiotics, the cough stopped. i want to know if its serious.
i am not a smoker, i have not smoked in my life.