Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Common Cold gone worse?

VanenaRodz85 - Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:41 am

I've been battling this problem for the past 3 weeks. There is phlegm/mucus that builds up in my throat and I start to cough/spit it out...the problem with that is, while I'm coughing out the junk in my throat, my nose also clogs up and I can't breathe. Once I finish coughing I can blow my nose....the color of the mucus started 3 weeks ago as clear with some yellow occasionally, but now the mucus is a very dark yellow with small amounts of blood or another red substance. Only on 1 occasion did I blow my nose and had green mucus.

I've looked in my throat and I can tell it's a little raw from all the coughing, and I have a headache for a while after a coughing spell. Other than that I suffer no pain.

I've been drinking hot tea, eating my oranges, using Vicks VaporRub, taking Day/NyQuil, and even kept away from all dariy products. What else can I do?

My mother originally thought that I was just dealing with a normal cold or possibly the flu, but now I'm not sure.

Please help me!
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:36 am

User avatar Hello:
It sounds like your "common" cold had developed into a possible sinus infection. Do you have any pain or tenderness under the eye area or across the eyebrow area when you press on it with your fingertips? Sometimes a cough from a cold can last for a couple of weeks past the initial cold, but if things appear to be getting worse, it may be time to see the doctor and have an antibiotic prescribed.
Regards,
Carolyn

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us