Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Common Cold gone worse?

VanenaRodz85 - Fri Dec 17, 2004 11:41 am

I've been battling this problem for the past 3 weeks. There is phlegm/mucus that builds up in my throat and I start to cough/spit it out...the problem with that is, while I'm coughing out the junk in my throat, my nose also clogs up and I can't breathe. Once I finish coughing I can blow my nose....the color of the mucus started 3 weeks ago as clear with some yellow occasionally, but now the mucus is a very dark yellow with small amounts of blood or another red substance. Only on 1 occasion did I blow my nose and had green mucus.

I've looked in my throat and I can tell it's a little raw from all the coughing, and I have a headache for a while after a coughing spell. Other than that I suffer no pain.

I've been drinking hot tea, eating my oranges, using Vicks VaporRub, taking Day/NyQuil, and even kept away from all dariy products. What else can I do?

My mother originally thought that I was just dealing with a normal cold or possibly the flu, but now I'm not sure.

Please help me!
 Carolyn Merritt, LPN - Sat Dec 18, 2004 12:36 am

User avatar Hello:
It sounds like your "common" cold had developed into a possible sinus infection. Do you have any pain or tenderness under the eye area or across the eyebrow area when you press on it with your fingertips? Sometimes a cough from a cold can last for a couple of weeks past the initial cold, but if things appear to be getting worse, it may be time to see the doctor and have an antibiotic prescribed.
Regards,
Carolyn