Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Asthma

Question: Why the weight gain when taking Adavir?

nestep38 - Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:57 pm

I started taking advair a few months ago, maybe 4/5 months ago. Anyways, I noticed a fast increase in weight. Can anybody tell me whats happening and what I can do to stop it or maybe slow the process down. I work at a nursing home so I'm on my feet non stop for 8 hrs. I bike ride at least 3 times a week, yet I'm still gaining weight. I am suppose to take the advair twice a day but about a week ago I cut it down to once a day. a few people have told me that it's normal to gain weight when taking this medicine. I can deal with alittle weight but I have went from 157 to 172 in a few months. Any advise would be great! Thank you
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Dec 20, 2004 7:38 am

User avatar Hi nestep38,
Advair contains a corticosteroid. Some of the possible side effects of corticosteroid use are weight gain, fluid retention, and a ravenous appetite. However, keep in mind the benefits can significantly outweigh their side effects but you may want to discuss any other options with your family physician.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 BW - Mon Apr 11, 2005 4:49 pm

I had been given steroids in the hospitol with an IV and given them to take home as a packet of pills. I gined alot of weight and I won't touch those things anymore. I need to know since I don't touch them why the weight is still on and what I can do to get rid of it

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us