Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: pain when breathing

serfingpenguin - Sun Dec 26, 2004 10:02 am

for about two weeks now i've been having pain in my right shoulder area when i take deep breaths or yawn. my doctor couldnt figure out what was wrong, she figured it was muscular since xrays didnt show anything with my lungs. i was put on prendisone for 10 days and propoxy as needed. yesterday and this morning ive had pain just under the bottom of my right side rib cage when i breathe or yawn. i'm assuming it may be related, but i'd like to know why i'm having the pain, it's about an 8 on a scale of 1-10 when im at the end of my inhalation and beginning of my exhalation. any ideas as to what may be causing it? there was no injury.
 serfingpenguin - Mon Dec 27, 2004 9:43 am

no suggestions as to what it may be??
 Dr. Russell M - Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:11 am

User avatar Hi!

Initial right shoulder pain and later right lower rib cage pain, both the pains make me think of some pathology involving the right diaphragmatic area. Since your x-rays have shown your lungs to be clear, I would focus my attention towards the liver. Have you had any blood tests done?

bill

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us