Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Question: chest pain from cold air?

isthedrin - Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:05 pm

Is it normal to have pain in the lungs after being out in the cold? This has started happening to me in the past month. I know cold can trigger asthma but I'm not wheezing or anything--it just hurts like a dull ache on both sides of my chest to breathe in afterward but seems to feel better after 10 or 15 minutes of taking very deep breaths. I was thinking maybe it is related to blood vessels constricting in response to cold (since I have been told I have other problems related to vasospasm--ie, raynaud's, migraines, livedo reticularis). But occasionally the pain has happened just walking around at the store though the air there isn't very cold. Any thoughts? I do have mild aortic insufficiency too but wouldn't think this pain is angina-related as it's in both sides of my chest. Aany thoughts? Or is likely just gas or something? Thanks!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Jan 10, 2005 5:43 am

User avatar Hi isthedrin,
Sometimes people do complain about chest discomfort after being out in the cold. One of the reasons for this is if you breathe through the mouth instead of through your nose the air doesn't have the opportunity to warm while being inhaled. However if the chest discomfort occurs when you are not exposed to fridgid temperatures etc. it would warrant being evaluated by you physician to rule out a cardiac origin.