Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Slight blood in my vomit?

Kevineleven26 - Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:32 am

Today i woke up not feeling so well and ended up making myself vomit, which i rarely ever vomit in the first place whther forced or not. There were little spots (about the size of a pencil eraser) of blood in it. These spots ended up coming out a little towards the end of the vomiting aswell. I have heard this may just be caused by a inflated or burst blood vessel, but i also have a bad history of acid reflux, and i also smoke and drink energy drinks quite frequently. Is this worth a trip to the doctor? or should i just keep an eye on it myself?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:52 pm

User avatar Hello Kevineleven26,

Having a small amount of blood with emesis is not particularly uncommon, especially after repeated episodes of vomiting. The lining of the stomach/esophagus can get small tears in it during emesis that bleed some but heal quickly.

If you continue vomiting or there is becoming more blood in your emesis I would recommend you see your doctor. If you're feeling fine I wouldn't be too concerned about the slight blood. As always, though, the internet is not a place for solid medical advice since I cannot examine you. If there is any concern seeing your doctor is best.