Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Question: Intralobar Sequestration diagnosis

marine mom - Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:09 pm

I was recently diagnosed with a intralobar sequestration in the left lower lung. It getting it's blood supply from the abdominal and thoriacic aorta. I've lost 18 pounds within the last 2 months, no appetite, nagging dry cough and left rib pain. Upon CT scan, they also found a small lesion on my liver. The pulmonologist wants me to wait until I get pnuemonia or bronchitis again to do surgery. With a diagnosis of Lupus, my immunes are compromised anyway, why would I have to wait? and would you recommend surgery? I don't want to wait until I have serious problems to go through something like this.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:27 pm

User avatar Hi there -- ILS will cause all the symptoms you mention, can be, on rare occasions, quite serious if untreated, and should be resoved by ligation of the aberrant feeding vessels (which have been identified) and subsequent removal of the blind lung body. This seems simple enough, and if it isn't done, even without immunity compromise, repeated pneumonias are to be expected. Why your doctor feels you should have the surgery only during a respiratory infection eludes me completely. The goal is to avoid hemmorhage (rare) and repeated pneumonias (common). Why wait til you're ill to do this? I have no idea. I would definitely get a second opinion on this. With lupus you're at increased risk of infections anyway, so removing this ILS, which is essentially good for nothing but to cause problems, should improve your overall health at any given time.

I hope this is helpful. Good luck to you. Please follow up with us here as needed.
 marine mom - Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:30 am

Thank you for your reply, John. Since my post, I've seen a team of thoracic surgeons and they want to do surgery as soon as I get cardiac clearance. They state that there are a lot of risks with this surgery. They will try to do the VATS but can't guarantee that they will be able to complete the surgery without a thoracotomy. I guess I just need someone else to confirm that this surgery needs to be done. The only other hospitals who have had any experience in this type of surgery, my insurance provider won't approve. All the research I've done on this topic always states that surgery is the only option. Have you had any experience in this procedure?