Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: calcified granulomas lungs disease

jeter316 - Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:17 pm

I recently took a job and after the physical I found out that I have calcified granulomas lung disease. I previously worked about five years at a boat manufacturing plant and I was wondering if it is possible that I have calcified granulomas lung disease from breathing the ground fiberglass fiber/dust in the air?

Is/can this be a serious disease?

John Kenyon, CNA - Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:33 pm

User avatar Hello -- We've heard this exact story before. It seems likely the inhalation of fiberglass detritus would be the cause. So long as the granuloma's not causing any significant symptoms and is not changing/growing, there's little cause for concern. If it begins to compromise your ability to perform physical work then of course it would need more in-depth exploration -- and to be sure it's not being cause by some other coincidental disease process (such as sarcoidosis), but given your work history it seems likely this is the underlying cause and again, so long as there are no significant changes (which would be noted in perhaps annual followups or if symptoms do develop) then there's really no need to be overly concerned.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you.