Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Question: Teenage Boy, Discomfort under left ribs.

Jamesgwy - Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:40 am

For about a year and a half I have been suffering slight discomfort under my lower rib on the left side of my chest, I keep worrying about what it is, it also constricts my breathing, although I am quite anxious and I tend to think about breathing to much, which I know in itself can help cause involunentry breathing problems, this really can't be discribed as a pain, its more of a discomfort, I have smoked for 3 years, and I am also very prone to chest infections, which yes, should mean I should stop smoking but its hard!

Sometimes when I breathe also I would get slight pains in my chest and my upper back, and very rarely my lower.

I keep just putting this pain down to wind, because it feels like it is, but I want to stop worrying about whether or not its lung cancer, or any other serious illness, I am only 19 years of age, and I seriously doubt I would have lung cancer after smoking for only three years but I have a daughter and I want to know that I'am okay. So any clearance on this matter would be extremely appreciated.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:24 pm

Normally the physiological act of respiration is unconscious(you seem to be well aware of it).Once one becomes conscious of it for any reason,it can be annoying.

Instead of worrying,you must consult your GP who,after examining you will be able to
exclude certain diagnoses and refer you to the right person(if necessary).

At your age, one possibility is 'costo-chondritis' an iflammation of the costo-chondral junction of uncertain etiology (?viral).This usually passes off in course of time.
Good luck!