Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Question: leftsided chest pain after epileptic fit

trs1 - Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:17 am

Hello

a few wweeks ago i had a grand mall epileptic fit (i am not under medication for that cuz it was the first time i had a fit in almost 20 years) i fell out of bed and hurt my back a little bit but the pain in in my chest on the leftside is still there. my quistion is what could it be, it is worse at night then the day. i also have migrane fit's once a year. i hope there is a simple explanation and nothing to serius.

thank you for the effort.

tekka
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:26 am

User avatar Hi there -- It seems most reasonable to suspect the left-sided chest pain is a lingering result of the fall from bed during the seizure. You may have cracked a rib or irritated some connective tissue between the ribs. If it's worse at night I am guessing this is mostly when you're lying down and trying to sleep, and lying position often will aggravate this problem. It usually responds very well to over-the-counter anti-inflammatory pain meds like ibuprofin (Advil) and naproxyn (Aleve). This might be worth a trial to see if it helps the problem. If not, you may need to have a physical exam which might include imaging (x-ray or CT scan) of the area to see if there's anything out of place.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you. Follow up with us here as needed.