Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Question: Symptoms after Croup?

Suzanne530 - Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:00 pm

I am 39 years old & I was diagnosed 6 days ago with acute laryngotracheobronchitis, otherwise known as Adult Croup. I was given an antibiotic (Zithromax) & 3 days of Steroids. I've never had Croup before & neither have my kids - so I'm not sure what to expect. My cough has gotten somewhat better & maybe I'm not giving it enough time - but I would think by now I should not be feeling any tightness or discomfort in my chest when I breath, but I am and that seems to bother me. How long are the symptoms supposed to hang on & when should you be concerned if they don't go away?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:11 am

User avatar Hi there -- Laryngotracheobronchitis or adult croup is fairly rare, but it happens, and it can be pretty tenacious, although it usually runs its course in less than a week, at leas with treatment. You've been give the appropriate meds but still feel some chest tightness. You may only need an expectorant or a breathing treatment to help loosen thick exudate, but you really shouldn't be feeling much in the way of symptoms by now and it might be wise to contact your doctor and just let him know how things are progressing (or not). This syndrome is usually just a major annoyance, but it does have the potential for serious complications, so if you have any frank difficulty exchanging air or if you have difficulty swallowing you should get yourself in to see the doctor or to the ER. Otherwise, just let your doctor know at at 6 days you're still feeling some tightness.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.