Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Asthma

Question: Can't get rid of Persistent Symptoms

ron125 - Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:37 am

In December I was on a plane and the man behind me was very sick. He was coughing, and was extremely congested. Shortly after that I became ill with similar symptoms. Three weeks I went to the doctor and was placed on antibiotics, alupent, and a decongestant. I had a chest xray that was clear but did show a compression deformity of one of the vertebrae. About two weeks later I went back to the doctor because I thought I had cracked a rib from severe coughing. At that time I still had nasal congestion, asthma like symptoms, and was still bringing up clear mucous. The doctor said that he could prescribe a steroid and I said I preferred not to take it. I wound up with more of the same medications minus the antibiotics.

Here I am three months later and now have the following symptoms:
During the day I am mostly ok, except that I occasionally get fatigued and have general malaise.
Have occasional heartburn.
I now cough mostly when wheezing in the evening/night.
Get congested at night and occasionally produce clear mucous.
The symptoms occur mostly when lying down. I am now taking over the counter medications that seem to help along with drinking coffee.

I thought I might have allergies but allegra hasn’t helped.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Jul 16, 2005 5:48 am

User avatar Hi ron125,
Pulmonary function studies is an excellent tool to evaluate lung function. If this diagnostic has not been completed I would suggest to inquire about this with your physician. Also medications such as inhalers for example, may help improve wheezing etc.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 ron125 - Tue Jul 19, 2005 3:18 am

I had a CT scan of the sinues that was normal. For the past month I have been on Flunisolide Nasal solution that seems to help with some of symptoms. I stll can't sleep through the night becasue laying down after a while cause me to get congested. My next appointment with the doctor is at the end of this month. I would bet that my pulmonary functins are ok as I have recently started swimming 30-40 minutes daily with out any problems.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us