Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: intermittent pulsation in xyphoid area with no pain

pulsation99 - Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:01 pm

3 weeks ago I mowed my lawn. It is very sandy and dusty. Afterwards I had pulsations in my lower chest, upper abdomin around the xyphoid area. This was sporadic for a day or two and somewhat anxiety producing. Then it went away for a day. Came back for two days. Went away for 4 days and returned again.
Since then I have noticed it mostly occurs when I am sitting, rarely when walking, and rarely when walking outdoors.

They tend to stop at night and do not seem to occur when I sleep. I seems stress related but they have lingered.

I have no other symptoms except I sometimes feel the desire to force out some burps.

No pain, no tiredness, no lightheadedness.

As you can see from my history, excellent health. I am 5'8" 158lbs

I do some yoga, light weight lifting. Have not done aerobic activity in a long time.
I am a vegetarian for 26 years.

I am guessing stress, anxiety and hyper-awareness of my body. ????

THanks for any response to this letter.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:23 am

User avatar Hello,It is quite common to feel abdominal pulsations near the xiphoid especially in lean persons and those with weak abdominal muscles.However what you are experiencing are more likely to be muscle twitching,otherwise known as benign fasciculations.The muscle twitching can become more apparent during anxiety states.
The difference between the more serious type of fasciculations is that in Benign Fasciculation Syndrome the twichings disappear during work or exercise.
I am sure these symptoms have settled by now.If it persists do get examined by a physician.