Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Asthma

Question: Asthma - Usage of Ventolin Inhaler

veryworried - Thu Apr 07, 2005 10:36 am

Hi there.

BACKGROUND:
I have been asthmatic since a very, very young age. I am 20 now.

I am of Asian origin but I have been in Australia for 3 years for educational purposes (thought this might be of relevance when it comes to what triggers asthma attacks).

Before I go to bed at night, I'll feel difficulty in breathing. I felt the same thing when I was back in Malaysia for my 3 months holiday. I am not sure how long I have been experiencing this but i think it has gone on for about a year. I had been asthma-attack-free for quite a good number of years before it started bugging me again. When i came to Australia 3 years ago, symptoms of asthma started to set in. Difficulty in breathing at night only became consistent bout a year ago.

QUESTION:
Before bed, due to difficulty in breathing, I'll use the Ventolin Inhaler (puffer). Directly after that, my breathing will suddenly become more difficult, and I'll feel a sudden dizziness, which goes away in 2 secs. Can you please explain to me why is that?

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION:
I am 167cm tall. I was 83kg. I joined the gym a year ago, and had since been doing consistent cardio and weight training. I do badminton, squash, cycling etc. I am now a 69kg. I have been eating healthy, so I have not been sacrificing nutrition to get slim fast.

Thanks and I really hope to hear from you soon.

From,
veryworried.

Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:23 am

User avatar Hi veryworried,
Side effects of Ventolin may include dizziness and difficulty breathing. I would suggest that you notify your physician, discuss your symptoms and inquire about an alternative therapy for your asthma.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 veryworried - Sat Apr 09, 2005 9:47 am

Hi.

Thanks for the reply. 'preciate it.

What if I get difficulty breathing and dizziness for a few seconds after inhaling air deeply, without the puffer? (i tried doing this to see whether Ventolin was the cause. I inhaled, held air for a while, then exhaled, and i got the same breathing difficulty and dizziness.)

What could this be if Ventolin isnt the trigger? Spasm of airways?

Thanks so much.

Regards,
veryworried.

Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Apr 09, 2005 1:36 pm

User avatar Hi veryworried,
If this occurs even when you don't use the Ventolin then I would say yes, it's very possible it may be a bronchospasm. In which case it would still warrant an evaluation by your physician.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us