Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: I have an unidentified disease. Can you please help me?

Kelly - Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:33 pm

I am 28 yrs. old and have become recently disabled and my doctors don't know why.
In April, I became very sick with a fever of 104 degrees, shallow breathing, shortness of breathe, severe headache and vision problems. I Was put in Intensive Care in critical condition. My lungs had collapsed and I was septic. After being hospitalized for a week, my vitals were stabilized enough for me to go home. I had to go home on Oxygen. I have been diagnosed with Obstructive lung disease with a lung function of 129 years. I still require to be on Oxygen 24/7. I have also developed tremors in my hands and head, chronic pain through out body, memory loss, confusion, vision problems and slurred or stuttered speech since April. I have gone through alot of tests including brain scans and MRI's of my brain. The results of the MRI taken after realeased from the hospital showed a significant change in my brain from the ones taken while I was in the hospital. The doctors think I have a very rare disease but they can't identify what it is. I am scared and fear that this is turning me into a "vegetable". Can you please help me??!! :cry:
 Ladysmith52 - Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:30 pm

Hi Kelly -

If you have visited or live in the Southwest states, you might have your doctors check you for coccidioidomycosis (Valley Fever). This can be done through a cocci bloodtest and they will look for your titer levels and any antibody to the disease which may show up.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us