Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: I have an unidentified disease. Can you please help me?

 Kelly - Fri Aug 08, 2003 5:33 pm

I am 28 yrs. old and have become recently disabled and my doctors don't know why.
In April, I became very sick with a fever of 104 degrees, shallow breathing, shortness of breathe, severe headache and vision problems. I Was put in Intensive Care in critical condition. My lungs had collapsed and I was septic. After being hospitalized for a week, my vitals were stabilized enough for me to go home. I had to go home on Oxygen. I have been diagnosed with Obstructive lung disease with a lung function of 129 years. I still require to be on Oxygen 24/7. I have also developed tremors in my hands and head, chronic pain through out body, memory loss, confusion, vision problems and slurred or stuttered speech since April. I have gone through alot of tests including brain scans and MRI's of my brain. The results of the MRI taken after realeased from the hospital showed a significant change in my brain from the ones taken while I was in the hospital. The doctors think I have a very rare disease but they can't identify what it is. I am scared and fear that this is turning me into a "vegetable". Can you please help me??!! :cry:
 Ladysmith52 - Wed Mar 01, 2006 2:30 pm

Hi Kelly -

If you have visited or live in the Southwest states, you might have your doctors check you for coccidioidomycosis (Valley Fever). This can be done through a cocci bloodtest and they will look for your titer levels and any antibody to the disease which may show up.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us