Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: diagnosed with pneumonia, has persistent chest pain and coug

 lime - Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:44 pm

Hello! goo day to all!
i'm 22 years old and complains of persistent chest pain right on the center behind the breastbone which radiates to my back. i feel that i have chest congestion which i can also feel up to my neck. the chest pain was more than a week. when i cough, there is sudden stoppage of my breath to the point that i can't talk which may last for 30-40 seconds. i can feel and hear the crackling sound inside my chest. i have plegm that i can't expel out which i think turns into a bolus inside. my cough is around three weeks now. i had consulted a doctor and diagnosed me with pneumonia. she prescribed me with antibiotics, clarithmycin, prednisone, antitussive and salbutamol. she also prescribed mobic for pain. can this be a tuberculosis? i'm afraid that it is. i hope i can get a response. thank you.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:24 pm

User avatar Hi,
Your symptoms are not specific for pulmonary tuberculosis. It is not clear how long you have had this problem. You need to see your doctor and get investigated. Basic labs including blood counts, ESR, a sputum smear for gram's stain and a routine sputum culture are indicated. A repeat chest X-ray may also be needed. Based on the clinical findings, your doctor may decide on requesting sputum smears for acid fast bacilli.
Best wishes!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us