Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Chest pain when upper body moves up and down

 digitalpencil - Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:24 am

After trampolining, the other day my chest hurt due to the up and down motion of my upper body. I had never experienced this before but since then the pain has got progressively worse and now i cannot jump, run or allow my upper body to move in an up/down motion without experiencing a reasonable amount of sharp pain in the centre of my chest.
The pain, although having never arisen before, happened almost immediately when jumping on the trampoline and i have recieved no shocks to the chest or pulled any muscles as far as i can see. I am getting more and more anxious that this could be a serious problem though i cannot believe that jumping was the trigger.
I am only 19, and have had no medical problems before and the pain only occurs when the body moves in the aforementioned up/down motion sitting and lying are not painful, only when my upper body moves up and down.
I can't very well explain the sensation, allthough it feels similar to when you're in a car and you go over a hill quickly and your insides feel like they rise really quickly and then come back down to earth (if this helps) only the sensation is also quite painful.
I'm praying its a pulled muscle or something, but I cannot think of a situation where this could have occured.
I have searched high and low for answers but can't find anything where others have experienced this type of pain when the upper body moves up/down.
Why could this be happening? Is it anything to worry about and if so, what should I do?
I can't easily get to a doctor, and am trying to take things easy. Should I be more worried about this pain?
 Jennifer R.N. - Tue Jul 05, 2005 11:33 pm

It's an unusual discription. I work on a cardiac floor and have never heard a discription such as yours. It sounds like you should go to the doc and be looked over. Maybe it is just a pulled muscle but better to be safe then sorry. Why can't you go to the doctors easily? Is it a money thing? Maybe a quick trip to the E.R. (if there is such a and let ehm draw some labs on you. Take care of you, OK? :)
 digitalpencil - Wed Jul 06, 2005 6:13 am

Thanks for your reply
Managed to see a dr today, listened to my chest and said sounded clear.
Thinks its probably something to do with the way that my ribs connect to the cage like hinges on a bucket handle.
If it doesn't get better soon, i'll go back.
Thanks for your concern and reply,
 Firozw - Mon Jan 02, 2006 3:32 pm

My Daughter got same type of pain while jumping on trampoline. We recently baught a trampoline and she was jumping on it continously for three days. Once to show off our guest she jumped so high that we couldn't believe and since than she is having chest pain while jumping.

Thanks for the explanation of this chest pain. I was guessing that it is muscular pain but now i have more specific answer to this.
 wintercool97 - Mon Feb 27, 2006 11:13 am

I know this is an old post, but I was wondering if you ever found out anything els. We got a trampoline for my boys birthday. My 8 year old started complaining of chest pain when he jumped after about 4 days of jumping. I thought he might have just sprained a muscle or something and told him to stay off for a few days. Then about 3 days later my oldest son who is 10 said he was having pain too. They haven't jumped for almost a week and my oldest son pain is gotten a lot better, but my 8 year old still has the pain, even when he is just playing with friends and if he jumps or goes up and down, or runs, it hurts. Any ideas? Thanks so much,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us