Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Asthma

Question: Help with this health condition. Could be asthma allergies?

 jz23qt - Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:41 pm

Iam a female 24 yrs old. For the past year I have had some medical issues going on that have not gone away. I had recurring tonsilitis so I got my tonsils removed in April 2005. I had a lot of trouble breathing in my nose and chest so they sent me for allergy testing and I had a lot of allergies to grass, mold, weeds,dogs,etc. Well they put me on clarinex and astelin spray. The symptoms kept getting worse to the point that i now have a pain in my chest area and trouble breathing a lot. I notice that the pain is always on my right side sometimes higher then lower by my rib cage area. I'm really concerned I don't know what this is and every diagnosis they have had seems inconclusive.their final disgnosis was that i have asthma and gave me an inhaler. I could use any help i can get. I also during alll this time have had a huge lump behind my ear a swollen lymph node. Please help im young and very frightnened by all of this...
 Jennifer R.N. - Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:48 pm

If the X-ray came back OK then I guess I would go with the asthsma diagnosis. That would have ruled out pneumonia. I don't know if the swollen lymph node is making you think cancer or something but that would also be ruled out by the chest x-ray. Your lymph could be swollen for any number of reasons. If you're really concerned then i would say go back to the doctors and go back and go back and go back until you feel satified with what they tell you. I believe a person knows themselves best and if you feel scared or unsure or worried about something then it should be addressed. Make them take care of you! :-)
 jz23qt - Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:10 am

They did not do a chest x ray at all. They gave me a peak flow test and said my peak flow should be at 400-450 and at the time it was at 300. I'm really worried becuase i feel like restricted breathing all day and then the pain comes in my right side.
 Jennifer R.N. - Wed Jul 06, 2005 11:41 am

And tell him you're concerned about pneumonia or something and would like an X-ray. Don't take no for an answer. Sometimes you have to be firm. Do you have a temperature at all? They could also draw some labs and see if your white count is up. That would tell if you had an infection and is easy enough to do. Good luck.
 jz23qt - Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:21 pm

I will try to get a x-ray. In the meantime is there anything i can do to help my breathing? I have the inhaler of albuterol but it made me really nervous and anxious so if i can i'd rather not use it. My peak levels stay at like 300-350 and for my age and weight they should be 400-450. I also followed up today and they did do a ultrasound and found nothing so now they are going to send me to a GI doctor. they said maybe the pain in the right side is gasrto problems too. do you know of any good PCP doctors or even allergy doctors in ny. I have blue cross blue shield so I can go anywhere in ny. Thanks so much for this guidance.By the way no temp.
 Dr. J. Jennings - Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:59 am

You cannot diagnose asthma with a peak flow meter - you need to get a pulmonary function test. When THAT test show asthma, you can use the peak flow numbers to follow the asthma severity. Once you are diagnoses with asthma, and you have your symptoms of allergic rhinitis or other nasal symtpoms, you need a steroid nasal inhaler (like flonase). Clarinex alone won't do much. For your asthma, a steroid inhaler (like Advair) would be necessary until the asthma is under control. The tests and meds mentioned above re very standard - if you don't have this, I would suggest seeing a pulmonologist so the PFT's and correct medications can be done.
 kermit1001 - Sat Feb 25, 2006 7:09 am

Hi, I am 31 and female, in october 2005 i was getting alot of earache and feeling sick, after two weeks I saw a dr who gave me eardrops but within a couple of days I developed a lump in my salivery gland and was prescribed erythromicin which did nothing the lump hurts alot and causes me great pain through constant earache, nothing was being done and I saw a dentist who ruled out that there was nothing wrong with my teeth and did and xray where there was a possible tumor, I saw a specialist at the hospital who thinks that i may have sialendentis and I had a sialogram which I have not had the result of yet in the mean time I have suffered from virus after virus and in december had a chest infection which I had a course of 250 antiobiotics but two weeks later it was still giving me grief so i was prescribed a stronger dose of antibiotics it is now feb 06 and i still have a bad chest with a peak flow reading of 350, for my height and age it should be 465, in all this time I have had a chest xray that came back clear blood tests that came back clear not showing any sign of infection, I still have the lump and also aswollen lymph node on the right side the same side as the lump, obviously with all these tests being done it is extremely frustrating that for 5 months I have been feeling extremely ill and in constant pain but nothing can be found. In the last two years I have suffered from quite a few viruses, pluerisy, viral meningitis laryingitis and vertigo, all of it has been in the same area that I am suffering from now, but again even myimmune system showed up that it was ok, I also have raynauds, any advice or ideas would be a huge help to me right now thanks

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us