Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Numothorax

tomek45 - Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:35 am

:? Hi, I am currently 48 years old. When I was 18 I was diagnosed with Spontaneous Numothorax and spent a week in the hospital resting until the problem healed on it's own. At that time my symtoms were; severe pain in the chest, shortness of breath, and constant burping of air. The doctors told me that the lung was not collapsed but a lot of air was formed around the heart, indicated by the x-rays, and every time I inhaled the air put pressure on the heart. My x-rays were up for x-ray of the month due to the rarity and multiple doctors visited my room to listen to my chest. Via a stethascope it sounded like someone squeezing a ball of paper. I believe what caused this problem was the fact that for some reason I tend to take huge deep breaths from getting ocassionally very hypor and that night continually did that for a few hours or more. Since then I have had reacurrence of the same symtoms about once every five to ten years. A few times I have visited a doctor about it but they seem to shrug it off as nothing seriuos.
I am currently experiencing the same symptoms. A few days ago, for what ever reason, I started taking these huge deep breaths again (note: lots of time I take these deep breaths while I am eating because I feel I can't get my breath) I am currently having pain and pressure in the middle part of my chest and I am consistently burping air. This has been going on for about four days now. I just don't know what to do about it. For now I will do what I usually do, try not to take anymore deep breaths, rest, and hope it clears up within a few weeks or so. It is very frustrating. Do you have any thoughts or advice for me? Thank you
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Jul 15, 2005 6:43 am

User avatar Hi tomek45,
If you have experience and been diagnosed with a spontaneous pneumothorax in the past and are now presenting with similar symtoms I would strongly suggest an evaluation. Serious medical problems can ensue when conditions are ignored and left to worsen.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us