Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Forum Name: Pneumonia

Question: Post pneumonia (Staph) continued sholder collar bone pain

bugeye - Thu Aug 04, 2005 1:03 pm

My husband was first diagnosed with pleurisy and given pain medicine. Pain increased in shoulder greatly, temp went to 103 degrees. He was taken to hospital and admitted to ICU. Sputum culture identified Staph infection. His BP dropped and his heart rate raised to over 200. Had other tests and was diagnosed with pneumonia. Had IV antibiotics and pain medicine while in hospital 6 days. He completed 10 days of antibiotics at home after released from hospital. It has been about 2 to 3 weeks since he completed antibiotic treatment. He is still having pain in right shoulder, upper arm, and collar bone.
No increase in temperture, BP normal, Temp Normal.

Please advise. Thank you for your time.
 piffero - Thu Aug 04, 2005 6:24 pm

I, too, have recently had pneumonia and am now on the mend. But I still get very tired and also have intermittent sharp shoulder pain (left shoulder), so would be very interested in any replies to Bugeye.
Piffero
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:25 pm

User avatar Hello bugeye -

Chronic pleuritic pain following acute pneumonia is not all that rare and should be treated with non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. It sounds like your husband had a very severe case of pneumonia and with all the various inflammatory processes, irritations, and interventions the pleura could be severely irritated or sensitized. Ibuprofen and naproxyn are the usual drugs of choice to reduce the inflammation and resolve the pain if this is, indeed, the case.

I hope this is helpful and that by now the pain has subsided.