Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Lump in throat feeling?

wallyg55 - Mon Aug 15, 2005 1:02 pm

Thanks so much ahead of time for your time/assistance. I've had this intermittent feeling of a lump in my throat (below Adam's Apple) when I swallow or breath. Sometimes it feels like it's hard to breath with it, but I'm also freaking out about it. Seems to have started around the time I took up an exercise regime after a long period of being out of shape. I started about two months ago and have lost about 10 pounds. I'm 26 and have smoked since I was 16, albeit it took some time to work myself up to my current level of self destruction (1 pack to 1.5 a day). It comes and goes; for example, in the morning I don't even really notice it, but after I smoke a lot or drink diet coke (I drink ridiculous amounts of that a day too) it is a more pronounced feeling. I don't notice it so much when I excercise. I did the water and neck check and didn't see anything odd, although I've always had a fairly pronounced Adam's Apple, and any amount of worry about this now could convince me that it feels "different." Thanks again, and I hope I'm not being a hypochondriac. I'm freaked out that it's some kind of larnyx or thyroid cancer or something.
 wallyg55 - Wed Aug 17, 2005 1:14 pm

Could it be asthma? The more I focus on it, the more it seems to come and go around times when I smoke. It completely goes away when I exercise. I've never had problems in the past nor have I known anyone in my family with asthma.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us