Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: starnge chest problem

 nev - Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:41 pm

Hello ,
I'm a 5 foot and 4 inch 18 year old in the US and I'm thinking that I'm losing my mind
I usually go jogging everyday....but last week I for a really long time and I think I stressed out myslef. The problem is that from that day onwards...I cant control my mind. I seem to do voluntary breathing when I'm conscious and its difficult. I'm always monitoring my breathing which is making me feel some heaviness in my chest. I usually feel normal if I'm watching TV or doing something when I'm sitting or lying down. However, if I'm just walking around...all what I 'm doing is controlling my own breathing rythym and I cant make it an involuntary action. It may sound funny but its really hard to live with this. I hope that someone could send me some healing light to help me.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:02 pm

User avatar Dear nev,

Breathing should be an unconscious process.
Cause of breathing difficulties can be easily identified if other symptoms exist. From your symptoms anxiety is more likely to the cause.

Self-awareness of the breathing process and breathing difficulty can be symptoms of a panic attack which can occur in people experiencing too much anxiety.

If you do not have any other medical problems, then medications for anxiety will help in addition to the relaxation programs that your therapist can teach you.

I advise you to consult your doctor for proper management.
Only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us