Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Need immediate help, please!

 tigeryo - Tue Sep 13, 2005 10:56 pm

My wife has been having chest pains for about a month, dizziness as well, she has had an echo, chest xray and blood tests, all normal. She has recently been set up to have a V/Q scan but doc mentioned she could have Marfan's or some other disorder like this which she has often feared. She is 25. We are wondering what the best test is to loook at the entire aorta to rule out problems there. She is fearful of ct scans and radition so were thinking MRI. Should she have an MRI or MRA of chest? Which one is the right one and are they accurate??? Thanks.

Also, how likely is it that the echo would have seen any probs with the aorta??? Or that new probs could come up in less than a month???
 dsjeya - Wed Sep 14, 2005 2:54 am

imaging studies with isotopes is analternative,but both of u relax and think calmly
 tigeryo - Wed Sep 14, 2005 1:24 pm

She is very scared right now, she's been having this chest pain off and on for years with increase in the last month and is now having bad upper and mid back pain though it does seem to get worse with movement so I think it is muscle. She fears it is her aorta. She has been worked up and even had a thallium scan but she says none of those show her aorta.

Anyway, what are isotopes?
 Dr. J. Jennings - Sun Sep 18, 2005 7:30 am

The test to look at the aorta is a "chest cat scan with contrast". It's just a very fancy type of xray. That tet allows you to look at the lungs and the aorta.
 tigeryo - Sun Sep 18, 2005 1:28 pm

drj wrote:The test to look at the aorta is a "chest cat scan with contrast". It's just a very fancy type of xray. That tet allows you to look at the lungs and the aorta.

We are aware of that test. However, she wants to avoid the CT scan, especially the contrast. We read MRI is just as sensitive but can't figure out which is better MRI or MRA and also with or without contrast.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us