Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Miscellaneous Chest Diseases

Question: Bronchial Wall Thickening, what does it mean???

 tifa - Mon Sep 19, 2005 7:59 pm

I am a 25 year old female who has been having shortness of breath and chest pain x 2 years or more. It recently got worse and I was sent for a VQ scan. The VQ came back normal but the Chest x ray says "mild bronchial thickening". I've had numerous chest x-rays before and it never said this. What could this mean and what needs to be done as follow up, my doctor didn't even tell me it said this, he just said "normal" and I found out when I got copies of the results.

I am told that one cause could be COPD and this scares me. I have no risk factors that I know of. However, I have had about 6 VQ scans over the last few years because of my symptoms. Could this cause COPD as I read environmental pollutants could cause it. So couldn't breathing in the gas and be injecting with stuff that goes to lungs do it??

Any info is welcome. Thanks.
 Dr. A. De la Guerra - Sat Sep 24, 2005 10:14 pm

User avatar Tifa, minor or mild degree of diffuse bronchial wall thickening is sometimes noted in normal healthy individuals.
Also is found in chronic airway disease, including chronic bronchitis, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, bronchiectasis, asthma and bronchiolitis.
If your doctor says it is normal is because you don't have any of the chronic diseases I mentioned, and thinks is not related to your symptoms.
If you are still worried about it, ask your doctor about high resolution CT scan and bronchoscopy.
 Ladyhawk - Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:05 pm

Hi tifa
I'm not a Doctour, I was trying to find anything that sounded like what I have, and your's was like reading about myself, I have bronchiectasis, do you have white frothy puss comeing up? and if you would like, I can give you a link to a MD web site that will tell you about it, and maybe help you find out if you have it or not,I hope it's not bronchiectasis, if you would like that, I went for years being told it was all in my mind, have you broken any ribs from coughing all the time, I'll be glad to help you in any way I can, because the sooner you find out, then you have a better chance of getting it under control,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us