Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Question: Sharp pains under left breast & shortness of breath

cmeacham13 - Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:13 pm

I am 25 yrs old and overweight. I smoke and drink occasionally. My med history includes...canceruos cells removed from cervix, allergic to aspirin, heart disease and cancer run in both sides of my family. For the last 4 days i have had very bad pains under my left breast...but not in the breast itself. I also have shortness of breath when these occur along with some numb feelings in my left arm. I also feel like i have some "butterflies" in my heart from time to time. I am very concerned with these chest pains and wonder if its something to make an appt w/ my doc about. The pains occur at night when i am sitting idle watching TV. ANy info would be appreciated! Thanks!
 momto3boys - Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:22 pm

Have you been worrying excessively lately? This sounds like a panic attack/anxiety disorder. I had the same exact symptoms a few years ago when I had all but convinced myself I had cancer (I have had many relatives die of cancer and I also watched my uncle slowly die from lung cancer when I was 9).
It wasn't until I got a chest x-ray and it came back fine that I finally relaxed and it all went away.

Nicole
 leamea - Fri Sep 30, 2005 4:08 pm

I am sorry to hear about your symptoms. Have you seen a doctor about them yet? If not, it would be a good idea to have yourself checked out. At 25 it isn't likely you have heart disease, but if it is worrying you a consultation with your physician may help alleviate your concerns, and, on the outside chance that there is a problem, you will be in the care of a physician.