Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Question: weak feelim

rochmom - Sun Oct 02, 2005 12:41 am

i had a baby 5 months ago and then 6 weeks late galdbladder surgery. Since then i often get a weak feeling in my chest accompanied with diziness and difficulty swallowing (sometimes i feel like i can't catch my breath.) what can this be?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:27 pm

User avatar Dear rochmom,

Patients with symptoms after cholecystectomy similar to cholecystitis or gall bladder disease are known to have postcholecystectomy syndrome (PCS).

PCS is caused by alterations in bile flow as a result of removal of the gallbladder. The inappropriate bile flow leads to esophagitis and gastritis and or in others, diarrhea and colicky lower abdominal pain.
Causes include:
Residual or reformed gallbladder
Sphincter of Oddi dyskinesia, spasm, or hypertrophy
Sphincter of Oddi stricture

GI symptoms like swallowing difficulties may also happen due to duodenogastric reflux, a cholecystectomy sequel that is considered as a part of post cholecystectomy syndrome (functional bowel disorders).

Dizziness is a non specific symptoms that may be related to any of these complications, but to my knowledge there is no direct relation to cholecystectomy.

Investigations include:
Esophagogastroduodenoscopy (EGD) is used to check for esophagitis, including gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD) and for direct visualization of the ampulla of Vater.
An abdominal ultrasound to evaluate the liver, biliary tract, pancreas should be done.

I advise you to visit your doctor for proper management.

Hope you find this information helpful.