Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: chest pain

 jcooch21 - Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:57 pm

I have had chest pains for the past 6 months or so on and off, it is a sharp pain in the chest once in a while, even when I am just sitting here. I went to a doctor they diagnosed me with a heart murmur. Recently my pains have been more frequent and I have started to have bad headaches, stomache pain on and off accompanied my nausea, and my left thigh has been in pain on and off, and I had tingling in my left fingers on and off. The pain never stays for long, but it is painful at times and the doctor keeps saying there is nothing wrong. Is there any conclusions you may have?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Thu Jul 27, 2006 6:30 pm

User avatar Dear jcooch21,

If my guess is correct you have described two medical problems.

The first one is more likely to be a chest pain due to GI origin.
Sometimes Chest pain is not originating from the chest itself; instead it is due to problems in the digestive tract. These problems include IBS, Gastritis and Gastric ulcer, GER.

The second complaint is more likely to be due to sciatica.
Sciatica is felt as pain in the lower back or hip that radiates down to the back of one thigh and the leg. Sciatica in some people is felt like leg cramp that can last for long time, it may also result in limb weakness, numbness, or a burning or tingling sensation down the leg.

You have to be properly checked and investigated. Only by complete history, physical examination and investigations, the correct diagnosis can be reached.
I advise you to follow up with your doctor and discuss with him the mentioned information and their possible contribution to your condition.

Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us