Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Question: white particles in phlegm

oxlox - Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:21 pm

Lately I've been getting these strange white bits in my phlegm, harder than mucous. I can sqeeze them into past quite easily in my fingers. The particles smell awful, almost like feces, but my saliva and phlegm do not have this odor. I have chronic sinus infections and have had recurring spontaneous pneumothorax in the past. Wondering if this is related. Are these white things from my chest, from my sinuses or even from my stomach?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:37 pm

User avatar Dear oxlox ,
Individuals with chronic sinusitis and postnasal discharge can present with cough and phlegm similar to those of chronic bronchitis (infection and inflammation of the upper airway tract).

Post nasal discharge causes irritation of of the throat and the respiratory airway, and a phlegm is felt at the back of the throat. The condition is felt more early in the morning and improves with time allover the day. Sometimes the phlegm is so thick and coughed in clumps. Anaerobic infections and the growth of germs results in offensive odor.

Drinking plenty fluid can help liquefy the secretions and make them easily expelled. Avoiding also Dairy food and fat contain food, that may thicken the secretion and make them more sticky. Decongestants are also helpful, in addition to treatment of any bacterial infection with the appropriate antibiotics.

You have to be checked by your consultant for proper management.