Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: white particles in phlegm

 oxlox - Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:21 pm

Lately I've been getting these strange white bits in my phlegm, harder than mucous. I can sqeeze them into past quite easily in my fingers. The particles smell awful, almost like feces, but my saliva and phlegm do not have this odor. I have chronic sinus infections and have had recurring spontaneous pneumothorax in the past. Wondering if this is related. Are these white things from my chest, from my sinuses or even from my stomach?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:37 pm

User avatar Dear oxlox ,
Individuals with chronic sinusitis and postnasal discharge can present with cough and phlegm similar to those of chronic bronchitis (infection and inflammation of the upper airway tract).

Post nasal discharge causes irritation of of the throat and the respiratory airway, and a phlegm is felt at the back of the throat. The condition is felt more early in the morning and improves with time allover the day. Sometimes the phlegm is so thick and coughed in clumps. Anaerobic infections and the growth of germs results in offensive odor.

Drinking plenty fluid can help liquefy the secretions and make them easily expelled. Avoiding also Dairy food and fat contain food, that may thicken the secretion and make them more sticky. Decongestants are also helpful, in addition to treatment of any bacterial infection with the appropriate antibiotics.

You have to be checked by your consultant for proper management.
Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us