Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Need help diagnosing sternum pain

kathryn - Tue Nov 08, 2005 2:34 pm

I am a 29 year old healthy (very stressed) Causcasian female. On Monday Sept. 12th I woke up at 5am with a sharp pain just under my breast bone. It hurt when breathing and certain movements. I was concerned and went to my doctor that morning. He seemed to rule out heartburn (which I have no history of) and said that because it hurt with movement and breathing it wasn't my heart. He said it was probably a strain in the tissue around my breastbone and to take advil and come back if it didn't go away. It did get better that day. Since then I often have mild chest pains under my breastbone in the early morning (while still in bed) and I had another 'sharp' episode on Monday Oct. 31st. This time I just relaxed and breathed through my diaghram and it was better later in the morning. This morning I had another less sharp but notable breif episode. I am trying not to worry, but it seems that any chest pain is disconcerting. I have been looking at hiatal hernias, hearburn, or muscle strain but don't know if any of these could be the cause. I know that I exacerbate symptoms by feeling panicked about the pain. I do not do any strenuous excercize. I am under a lot of stress. Could a doctor please let me know if I should be concerned and what action to take. The pain is more upsetting then physically limiting but I am a worrier!
 Dr. J. Jennings - Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:48 pm

I agree that it is not the heart. Chest pain can nonetheless be disconcerting. What you describe sounds very much like a muscle strain. Ibuprofen is a good choice because it also has antiinflammatory properties. However, if you are very anxiou about this still, it would not be unreasonable to re-see a physician. But other conditions that cause pain when you breath (like pleurisy - inflammation of the lininng outside your lung) seem much less likely than the muscle strain.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us