Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

Question: Difficulty breathing/cough/mucus

babytitmouse - Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:42 pm

Hello
I am 27 and I'm trying to recover from a cold. I am having great difficulty breathing, and find I get short of breath if I talk or move around too much. When I breathe in or out, it feels like bubbles in my lower throat. I have asthma, but my puffer is doing nothing to help this.

I have bad coughing which is racking my whole body - so much so that my entire torso aches. Just recently, it has become productive, and I'm coughing up small amounts of yellow/brown/thick mucus stuff.

I am hesitant to go to the doctor or ER b/c I am unemployed and have no insurance. Should I be worried about this ?

I woke up with this difficulty breathing yesterday. I tried taking Robotussin but it did not help. I havent gotten much sleep either due to the difficulty breathing. Shuld I give it some more time to try to work itself out or should I be concerned ?

I also tried taking a hot shower to loosen up my chest, but all the steam made it even more difficult to breathe and I had to quit when I started feeling light-headed.

Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:34 am

User avatar Hi babytitmouse,
Most hospitals have programs to assist people whom are uninsured/uninsured usually based on income guidelines. I would strongly suggest that you go in for an evaluation as your symptoms sound much more serious than the common cold. Signs and symptoms of a respiratory infection including exacerbations of asthma are sputum production ( colored, for example, yellow, green, tan, etc.), shortness of breath, fever may be present, etc. Again, I am strongly suggesting that you go in for an evaluation.