Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Difficulty breathing/cough/mucus

babytitmouse - Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:42 pm

Hello
I am 27 and I'm trying to recover from a cold. I am having great difficulty breathing, and find I get short of breath if I talk or move around too much. When I breathe in or out, it feels like bubbles in my lower throat. I have asthma, but my puffer is doing nothing to help this.

I have bad coughing which is racking my whole body - so much so that my entire torso aches. Just recently, it has become productive, and I'm coughing up small amounts of yellow/brown/thick mucus stuff.

I am hesitant to go to the doctor or ER b/c I am unemployed and have no insurance. Should I be worried about this ?

I woke up with this difficulty breathing yesterday. I tried taking Robotussin but it did not help. I havent gotten much sleep either due to the difficulty breathing. Shuld I give it some more time to try to work itself out or should I be concerned ?

I also tried taking a hot shower to loosen up my chest, but all the steam made it even more difficult to breathe and I had to quit when I started feeling light-headed.

Thanks
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:34 am

User avatar Hi babytitmouse,
Most hospitals have programs to assist people whom are uninsured/uninsured usually based on income guidelines. I would strongly suggest that you go in for an evaluation as your symptoms sound much more serious than the common cold. Signs and symptoms of a respiratory infection including exacerbations of asthma are sputum production ( colored, for example, yellow, green, tan, etc.), shortness of breath, fever may be present, etc. Again, I am strongly suggesting that you go in for an evaluation.
Sincerely,
Theresa Jones, RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us