Medical Specialty >> Pulmonology

Doctors Lounge - Pulmonology Answers

Back to Pulmonology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/19/2017.

Forum Name: Chest symptoms

Question: Chest pain under right rib

 btdawgh - Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:53 pm

daughter 32 years old,has Muscular Dytrophy FSH, wheelchair dependent,PE in 2000..on coumadin,
my car hit front side on passenger side(where my daughter was)..she was wearing seat belt..immediate pain in her stomach area..Cat Scan showed nothing,pain continued,
sick to stomach and not eating. Had Gastroendoscope which showed nothing. Wreck about one month ago and she is still sick to her stomach. Pain under right rib cage continues
HELP Please....where do we go from here?
What Dr. to see? She is eating very little and most often eating nothing. Also has bad headaches and neck discomfort.
........Is this a "chest" problem since under right rib cage?
I am very concerned and do not know what to do.
.....There has to be a physical problem causing this but WHAT?
PLEASE....advice needed. Should we ask for an MRI to investigate cause of pain and nausea?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:47 pm

User avatar Dear btdawgh,

The symptoms you have described are very suggestive of viral infection and muscle pain and spasm.

Muscle spasm is a body reaction to injury in tissues
Causes of muscle injury include:
Muscle fatigue
Heavy exercise
Metabolic abnormalities like low Magnesium level and Hypocalcemia

In these cases, Physical therapy, home care and proper posture will lead to a gradual but clear improvement in the pain. Home treatment includes the use of analgesics, cold or hot therapy.
Rest for maximum two days is also beneficial.
She is not eating well and a healthy diet is also helpful.

I advise you to follow up with her consultant (expertise in Muscular Dystrophy ).
Clinicians familiar with the disease are more aware if these symptoms follow the damage of the weakening muscles resulting in this severe pain.

If spinal or bone problems are expected MRI is of choice.

Hope you find this information useful.
Best regards,

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us