Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Acne-- scarring

pinklipgloss - Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:43 am

Hello,

I have had acne for several years now, I am 20 and I've dealt with acne since I was 12. I finally got tired of it and went to see a dermatologist who prescribed me Doxycyline (250mg), Clindamcyn (spell check? topical solution) and Trentonin (more commonly known as Retin-A, .1%) Well, he told me to place the Retin-A on my skin every other night and only use a very small amount. Well I started to apply the stuff just like he said, but none of the irritation he said would happen, happened. So I decided to apply it every night, and I probably put more on than I should have. A few days ago I realized my skin was incredibly itchy, and red, and I had a rash that covered my entire face!

Well, the irritation was awful, but I think the aftermath is worse. The rash faded away, but it left a medium sized dark mark (it looks like a birthmark) on my cheek where I experienced the most severe irritation. At first I thought it was simply dead skin, but no matter how hard I scrub I can't seem to get it off! What is it? Did I burn my skin? What should I do? Help please!
 Roke - Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:04 pm

The retin-A makes that area of the skin more sensitive to the sun, so it tanned and appears like a dark spot.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us