Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Acne-- scarring

pinklipgloss - Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:43 am

I have had acne for several years now, I am 20 and I've dealt with acne since I was 12. I finally got tired of it and went to see a dermatologist who prescribed me Doxycyline (250mg), Clindamcyn (spell check? topical solution) and Trentonin (more commonly known as Retin-A, .1%) Well, he told me to place the Retin-A on my skin every other night and only use a very small amount. Well I started to apply the stuff just like he said, but none of the irritation he said would happen, happened. So I decided to apply it every night, and I probably put more on than I should have. A few days ago I realized my skin was incredibly itchy, and red, and I had a rash that covered my entire face!

Well, the irritation was awful, but I think the aftermath is worse. The rash faded away, but it left a medium sized dark mark (it looks like a birthmark) on my cheek where I experienced the most severe irritation. At first I thought it was simply dead skin, but no matter how hard I scrub I can't seem to get it off! What is it? Did I burn my skin? What should I do? Help please!
 Roke - Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:04 pm

The retin-A makes that area of the skin more sensitive to the sun, so it tanned and appears like a dark spot.