Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Help, Used Rogaine before actual hair loss

matt85 - Fri Jan 27, 2006 12:07 pm

About 3 weeks ago, I started using Rogaine, not because I had any hair loss, but because it runs in my family, and it had been advertised to prevent it. However, a few days ago, I noticed that my hair was much thinner on top than just a few days before that. I immediately stopped using the Rogaine. Is it possible that it caused my hair to thin? I have heard that it first gets all the hairs in sync, and this can cause thinning, but it should grow back. What is your opinion?

Angela Grunewald, RN - Fri Jan 27, 2006 7:12 pm

User avatar don't worry. I cannot see that the medication use was/is the cause of your thinning hair. I use this medication at times to increase the appetite of my patients. and rest assured, they don't lose their hair.
 Roke - Tue Jan 31, 2006 12:14 am

I've read that Rogaine intially causes hair to fall out and then new hair grows.

Weird...