Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: lump/bump on bottom lip due to peeling dry skin

arrawyn - Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:11 am

hi,

okay i've had the odd few days here or there this winter of dry chapped lips and about 4 days ago i peeled/pulled off a large section of dry skin off the right side of my bottom lip (i didn't realize it was as big as that cuz i wasn't looking in the mirror).

so obviously it was red and raw and very smooth (but didn't bleed). then the next day it has pretty much healed over again, but that night the area started peeling quite badly so i very carefully peeled off what i could but left an area of skin on so i didn't tear it. the next morning i was able to take off the remaining little bit cuz it had lifted up a lot overnight.

then the next day i noticed a lumpy/bumpy(swollen?) area in the same area as the peeled off skin (but not the whole area or same shape). the skin was translucent yellowish, and i kinda thought it might have been the beginnings of a cold sore (which i'm prone to). I went to the doctor (for something else) but asked him about my lip and he said he couldn't see any infection.

Okay, fine. then that night, the area went flaky very very slightly and the skin came off just moving my tongue over it. and i thought by the morning the lumy/puffy/bump would be gone cuz there wasn't any more dry skin

Nope! today its still there, and i noticed in daylight that on the area of the bump there were little red circular depressions that looked like holes (but aren't).

so since i've noticed that i've been putting on Blistex/chapstick and Miracell (i found online) to help it.

my lip is still weird! it seems kinda like 2 lumps/bumps very close together.

Does anyone know what has caused this and if it will go away?has this happened to anyone else?! i'm not someone who pulls skin off their lip all the time and cause lots of damage but have done sometimes in the past (smaller areas) and they heal up fine.

I have quite a large bottom lip (think angelina jolie) so i'm quite self conscious about it!

any help, advice, reassurance anyone could give would be great!

many thanks!

arrawyn
 arrawyn - Fri Feb 24, 2006 8:35 am

me again,

okay so i figured out the puffyness was due to 2 sores on my lip that were slightly scabby. i've been putting various stuff on it to heal them and today they went very flaky, not attached except to circular centres.

when eating lunch today one of the scabs fell/slid/moved off and there is a hole there. it is small but it is right next to the very middle of my bottom lip. the other scab which is larger is still on there thank goodness.

just wondering if the small hole will heal up or will it scar?! and same goes for when the other scab falls off and possibly leaves a hole

thanks very much,

arrawyn