Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: husband has deep gash on head (scalp)

 arrawyn - Fri Mar 10, 2006 11:45 am


last night my husband hit his head on the plastic serrated edge of a tin foil roll dispenser (the serrated bit to help tear the foil off) he was leaning down to get something and bashed his head against it. he said he's done it before but not very badly.

He has thinning hair so his scalp is quite exposed.

There is a long gouge that is fairly wide (wider than a knife cut) and quite deep looking that is about maybe 1cm or so long (there is an area around the deep cut itself that is red too-i don't know if that is cut or if it has just been scraped raw. the cut is 'ditch' shaped. and there was bits of dead skin still in the wound. surprisingly it didn't bleed much and there doesn't seem to be any bruising or bump. its kind of hard to see the cut perfectly because of bits of hair.

I've looked up online about head injuries and it said to keep an eye on it because after 24 hrs symptoms like blurred vision and stuff can happen. he says he feels dizzy/woozy and has a sore head (don't knw if it is a headache or the cut itself).

I've been trying to have him go to the doctor or hospital about it but he says its not bad. one guy at his work that plays soccer gets injuries and cuts alot and says it isn't that bad but other people say it looks quite deep. He's at work today, but its the weekend tomorrow so i'll just have him rest.

Is there anything I should know or do? Should he go to the doctor about it? I'm just very worried and it looked horrible.

I had him put a cold wash cloth on the cut for a few minutes when it first happened.

Any advice would be great because I am very worried for him. Maybe I am just over-reacting and it is just a cut that will heal.


 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Mar 11, 2006 8:17 am

User avatar Hi arrawyn,
Generally head injuries caused by for example, falling and hitting your head on an object/ground,concrete, rock, etc., or an object falling and hitting the skull, with any weight, are usually the causes for concern with watching for symptoms such as blurred vision, dizziness, nausea, vomiting, confusion, etc. etc. The plastic tin roll dispenser most likely would not cause a reason for concern as in causing a concussion. The serrated edges would make a "gash" in the scalp but according to your description sounds more like a superficial injury. If he is refusing treatment, keeping the area clean should promote healing in a timely manner.
Theresa Jones, RN
 arrawyn - Sat Mar 11, 2006 9:20 am

Hi Theresa,

Thanks for your quick reply!

Since it has been over 24 hrs now he hasn't complained of any symptoms that would indicate head injury.

The cut is pretty superficial (he has got more opinions from friends and they say it doesn't need stitches) and today i can see that it is slightly jagged and where the cut is seems like there is dried blood. There is still a small area at one end that is open (i.e. not scabbed). the whole cut itself is probably like 2mm wide.

I've put an antibacterial ointment cream on it today to kind of act as a barrier and keep the wound moist so hopefully it will heal faster.

we're seeing his parents tomorrow and he's going to ask them what they think and will hopefully listen to them if they say to go to the doctor!

Thanks very much for your reply again Theresa, it really helps put my mind and ease and not be so worried!!

Thank you!


| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us