Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: White skin marks

joann9298 - Sat Jul 15, 2006 1:02 am

my son is 7 years old and has a dark complexion he is a heathy boy. I noticed on his cheeks he has white quarter sized marks on his face. I cant find anything on this can someone give me any info on this topic.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:52 pm

The most likely diagnosis here is Pityriasis alba. This is the commonest cause of hypopigmented patches on the face of a child.

In this condition, a patch or patches of lighter-colored skin appear on the face, especially on the cheek. Usually, there is a preceding eczema which has already resolved and may have been so mild that it has not been noticed.

Physical examination by a dermatologist is necessary for confirmation of diagnosis.

Dr Anthony Solomon
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us