Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: What Circular Rashes Scar?

 CelticLabyrinth - Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:36 pm


I was curious if any circular rashes besides discoid rashes scar with tan spots? Would any circular, scaley, upraised, red rash with well defined borders that eventually scars be considered a discoid rash? And is it possible to have just one of these rashes?

 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:54 am

User avatar The term discoid generally refers to a circular or oval lesion. Thus, any rash that has this shape can be termed discoid.

Also, any rash that is inflammatory in nature (be it an infection, eczema, psoriasis, etc.) can cause post-inflammatory hyperpigmentation. This may be what you are seeing when you see the tanned areas that remain.

Your description of the rash makes me think you may be referring to psoriasis or possibly numular eczema.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us