Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Telangiectasia macularis eruptiva perstans

triquetra_682 - Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:06 pm

I am a 24 year old female, and have had the same skin problem all my life. I went to Vanderbilt University in TN a year ago and was diagnosed with Telangiectasia macularis eruptiva perstans or TMEP. I would just like to know how rare it is and how many known cases there are. I haven't been able to find any doctors in my area to help me. The doctors at Vanderbilt didn't seem to know a whole lot about it. I noticed that John Hopkins has all the case studies about it that are published online. It has been getting progressively worse over the past couple of months, and I think it may be causing symptoms other than skin-related. I would be grateful for any information on this disease and any hospitals or research facilities that could offer treatment.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:44 pm

User avatar TMEP is a form of a condition known as mastocytosis. It is quite rare and represents less than 1% of all patients with mastocytosis. Generally TMEP is associated with only skin involvement and itching; however, it can also have systemic symptoms including headaches, GI upset, and fainting among other things.

There isn't a lot of information available on this as it is an uncommon disease. The internet does have some information but be sure to check the site out to see if it is reputable before trusting medical information available online.