Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Telangiectasia macularis eruptiva perstans

triquetra_682 - Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:06 pm

I am a 24 year old female, and have had the same skin problem all my life. I went to Vanderbilt University in TN a year ago and was diagnosed with Telangiectasia macularis eruptiva perstans or TMEP. I would just like to know how rare it is and how many known cases there are. I haven't been able to find any doctors in my area to help me. The doctors at Vanderbilt didn't seem to know a whole lot about it. I noticed that John Hopkins has all the case studies about it that are published online. It has been getting progressively worse over the past couple of months, and I think it may be causing symptoms other than skin-related. I would be grateful for any information on this disease and any hospitals or research facilities that could offer treatment.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:44 pm

User avatar TMEP is a form of a condition known as mastocytosis. It is quite rare and represents less than 1% of all patients with mastocytosis. Generally TMEP is associated with only skin involvement and itching; however, it can also have systemic symptoms including headaches, GI upset, and fainting among other things.

There isn't a lot of information available on this as it is an uncommon disease. The internet does have some information but be sure to check the site out to see if it is reputable before trusting medical information available online.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us