Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Blotches on child's face/back

 momoffive - Sun Feb 04, 2007 7:26 pm

My son will be seven next month. I noticed a few spots on his face (cheeks, chin area) and on his back. They are pinkish red in color with a white scab look on each. He's had it for over a week and a half now and I've shown it to his pediatric allergist, who said it's either a viral rash (not contagious) or pinworm. I let it go for over a week and then I noticed that his back was worse. I showed it to a friend, who is a cosmetic surgeon. He said it looks like either a fungal rash or a viral rash. It does not bother or itch my son at all. As a baby, he had eczema. As an fyi - we were in Florida a few weeks ago (we live in the snowy, cold Midwest) and he was in the sun and swimming in the beach.
What can I do for him? He's not in any discomfort but it has definitely worsened over the past 10 days.
Thank you in advance.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Fri Feb 09, 2007 7:16 pm

User avatar From your description I would say that there are a few possibilities. First, if it has been present for over a week it is less likely to be a viral rash.

Here's a few other possibilities:
1) Pityriasis Rosea
2) Tinea versicolor
3) Pityriasis alba (usually more pale skin colored and can show up more prominently after sun exposure.

You can google these to see pictures. Also, if you are able to post a picture or two here I may have some more ideas.

Each of these has a specific treatment, so I would suggest you see your pediatrician to help in diagnosis/treatment. Pediatricians are generally pretty good at rashes but if we can't figure it out we can refer to a dermatologist.

Hope this helps.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us