Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Itchy lump on the back of my neck

amn626 - Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:19 pm

I am 23 year old female and over the past 6 months, I have noticed a small, itchy lump on the left side of the back of my neck. I went to the ER once because it had swelled up to the size of a baseball but the doctor said it was an infection. He put my on antibiotics but it comes and goes when it pleases. I started to wonder if it was being caused by stress because that is when I seem to notice it gets itchy. It never "comes to a head or scabs up" but it gets really, really itchy and once the swelling goes down, it is very tender and sore. I am not on any meds and no one else that I know of has ever even heard of this. Should I seek medical treatment again or just leave it alone?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:45 pm

User avatar It may be that you have a small cyst or follicle there that is repeatedly getting infected.

I would recommend you see your doctor. If it is a cyst or other structure that is getting infected you may be able to have the cyst removed to stop the area from becoming inflamed again.

Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us