Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: Itchy lump on the back of my neck

amn626 - Wed Mar 28, 2007 7:19 pm

I am 23 year old female and over the past 6 months, I have noticed a small, itchy lump on the left side of the back of my neck. I went to the ER once because it had swelled up to the size of a baseball but the doctor said it was an infection. He put my on antibiotics but it comes and goes when it pleases. I started to wonder if it was being caused by stress because that is when I seem to notice it gets itchy. It never "comes to a head or scabs up" but it gets really, really itchy and once the swelling goes down, it is very tender and sore. I am not on any meds and no one else that I know of has ever even heard of this. Should I seek medical treatment again or just leave it alone?
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:45 pm

User avatar It may be that you have a small cyst or follicle there that is repeatedly getting infected.

I would recommend you see your doctor. If it is a cyst or other structure that is getting infected you may be able to have the cyst removed to stop the area from becoming inflamed again.