Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Question: lichen simplex chronicus

jec31 - Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:39 pm

I was given a diagnosis for lichen simplex chronicus on my fingers and hands today and was prescribed clobetasol propionate cream for the condition. I was told only to use this but I was wondering if I ought to use a moisturizer as well or if this would affect the efficacy of the cotosteroid. If I can/should use one for the dry flaky skin which should I use? I am 31 years old a male and this is my first diagnosis.
 Dr. Chan Lowe - Tue May 15, 2007 11:24 am

User avatar Using a moisturizer is ok. Be sure to put the clobetasol on first or the moisturizer will act as a barrier for the medication.

Generally, thick moisturizers that come in tubs are better than the lotions which can sometimes actually dry your skin out.

The moisturizer can be used as often as you like. Only use the clobetasol as directed.