Medical Specialty >> Dermatology

Doctors Lounge - Dermatology Answers

Back to Dermatology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 10/18/2017.

Forum Name: Dermatology Topics

Question: Self done burns

 raygirl1 - Thu Apr 26, 2007 9:09 pm

My age is 18 and i am a girl who has 2 burns on her left arm and the are infeced I think. I have bipoler and depression. I have had one surgery. In my family they has been a lot of cancer and some depression. I currently take lunstez, depacote,topamax, conapline, and one other one. I am going to the dr. for the burns but when I went before they didn't do anything so I want to know what I should ask then and what I sjhould do to heal them? thank you
 Marceline F, RN - Fri Apr 27, 2007 12:40 am

User avatar Dear Raygirl1,
I am sorry to hear that the hurts in your life have brought you to the place where causing physical pain to yourself is your way of either overriding the emotional pain you are feeling, or maybe even allowing you to acknowledge you are capable of feeling. I really hope you have a good psychologist working with you to help you deal with life, as well as a psychiatrist who prescribes and manages your bi-polar medications. I am also sorry to hear that your perceptions of their level of response to a previous episode is that they don't seem to care very much. You did not mention which doctor you are planning to visit. Your primary care physician would be more interested in the burns themselves, and prescribe antibiotics if needed to help you heal. Your psychiatrist would be more interested in why and how you burned yourself, and possibly change your medications, and might even recommend you be admitted to a mental health facility for med and mood management. Burning yourself is a loud cry for help for something deep inside you that hurts worse than the burns, and you need the help of the appropriate mental health professional to deal with that pain. If you do not have a primary care physician, or psychiatrist, you might consider presenting to the local hospital emergency room, tell them the whole story, and let them both treat you for infected burns and provide access to a mental health assessment.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us